Sunday, September 4, 2011

SLOTH - Collage Obsession




As usual for this series my entry is above and on my blog:

According To Wikipedia:

Sloth is defined as spiritual or emotional apathy, neglecting what God has spoken, and being physically and emotionally inactive. Acedia is a Latin word, from Greek ἁκηδείᾱ, meaning "Carelessness".

Sloth can also indicate a wasting due to lack of use, concerning a person, place, thing, skill, or intangible ideal that would require maintenance, refinement, or support to continue to exist.

Religious views concerning the need for one to work to support society and further God's plan and work also suggest that, through inactivity, one invites the desire to sin. "For Satan finds some mischief still for idle hands to do." ("Against Idleness and Mischief" by Isaac Watts).[citation needed]

In the Philokalia the word, dejection is used instead of sloth, for the man who falls into dejection will lose interest in life.

I have always liked this hot, vibrant painting of a woman sleeping in the heat of the afternoon-for my purposes here I have served her up on a bed of hell, fire and supernovas-wound her is golden webs and given her a cherub to cry over her damnation (thanks Itkupilli for this PNG image).

8 comments:

  1. Sloth is also an animal.
    Sloths are the six species of medium-sized mammals belonging to the families Megalonychidae (two-toed sloth) and Bradypodidae (three-toed sloth), part of the order Pilosa and therefore related to armadillos and anteaters, which sport a similar set of specialized claws.
    They are arboreal (tree dwelling) residents of the jungles of Central and South America. The sloth's taxonomic suborder is Folivora, while some call it Phyllophaga.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ERRR yeah...but that sort of sloth has nothing to do with the 7 deadly sins did you know that some sloths are green? They move so slow that in the humid hot climate where they live their fur grows algea which gives the animal a greenish tint...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A simply superb and splendid similitude of sloth...and I really like it too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great question Rick...the blue bottle it filled with good intentions...as everyone knows the road to hell is pave with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS about sloths, they are very industrious in their slow way. Great challenge, you had me thinking on this one. Love the colours in your image.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't pretend to know artwork, but this is easy to stare at and appreciate, I love the hues, the invasion of the webs and the rested body but awakening angel! Very inspired. I love you images and would love to share some of the cards I've created using your images. My blog is http://handmadebytlc.blogspot.com if ever you were inclined! Also, I am following this blog now and am anxious to hear of a DT call in the future? Thanks for your work Rick! Love the showgirls!
    Tammy Louise

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dramatically rich and beautiful. I'm so glad the spiders are hiding somewhere!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated to keep the spammers (especially CHINA) off my blog....Thanks-word verification is off but I am on it...