Wednesday, February 6, 2013

ROSES-make your own


I asked Monique to create a little tutorial on how to create roses from dies.


Apparently there are quite a number of video and other how tos on this subject online but frankly in my many years of association with the crafts industry I have never been aware this could be done.


We often made ribbon roses of both the fold and twist variety and the wired edge ribbon style where you gather one side of the ribbon using the wire-both of these make an acceptable rose.


In the days when CREPE PAPER was a crafting staple we uses to cut out petal shapes from the paper-roll it on a pencil then crush the sides towards the middle...slide the paper off the pencil, unroll and shape by gently stretching the center of the petal-eventually when you had enough of these petals you would start rolling and wiring the bottoms with floral wire.


You could also make a similar item using wood fiber petals.


So many crafting techniques have become archaic and who would have thought back then that personal computers and die cutters ould become such an intergral part of crafting?

Rick asked me to do a "how to" on making roses from dies, here is how I do this.
I've got 2 differente dies which I use, the Tim Holtz "tattered Pinecone" which you can make a rose. The other one is Marianne Design Creatable LR0162
see pics below


here is how I make the Marianne design rose


when you cut out the die, you will get this spiral shape, you need to roll the rose starting from the outside.



The center part of the spiral will make the base upon which you glue the rolled rose shape.




to begin I use pliers, put the end of the rose around the tip of the pliers and roll a bit, then remove pliers and roll the rose by hand, see pics

the last part of the die is made to glue the rose to,




so put on some glue and pres the rose to the base, I use liquid glue, cause it has some drying time, which gives me time to move and shape the rose the way I want , but of course you can use a glue gun. See pics







when the glue has dried,you can either leave the rose as it is or take the pliers and bend the tip of the petals back , to give them a bit of a curve (this works a lot better with the TH die)


here the finished product


How I make the TH rose.
I like to give thes roses a bit of a vintage, old look, so I sand the edges




and then put some distress ink on it using a make up sponge
then roll again outside in, use pliers to get a start, same steps as the Marianne design rose, see pics












Now you can leave the rose like this, but you can also bend the petals with the pliers
when you curved all the petals, the rose look something like the blue roses (both blue roses are made of the same paper, but nice to see what distress can do )
The pink rose is rolled up a bit tighter, you can get a different effect by how tight you roll the rose.
Sorry for the ink and glue on my fingers in the pic, hope you can understand from the pics, cause not easy to take pic and make a rose at the same time (I need four hands)
Special Thanks to Monique for this interesting how to-I hope its new information to some of you as it is to me?


The next how to will be a floral home d├ęcor item using these roses and some clever creativity to make a charming "BELL JAR" which could be changed with the seasons and with each passing holiday.


Click HERE for a video tutorial on ROLLED ribbon roses.


Click HERE for the folded ribbon rose that I am familiar with.


Click HERE for a crepe paper rose made much the way I used to do them except the roling and crushing the petels has been omitted and we used a much more ptel shaped piece of paper to start with.


I hope you enjoy these "how tos" and tutorials---I love to have information gathered where I can find a wealth of variations in one place-I appreciate Monique helping me with this series-remember that English is not her first language but I assure you she's better at my language than I am at Dutch---Thanks Monique.

8 comments:

  1. Very cool Monique! Another reason to need a die-cutting machine! Thank you both for presenting this here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice tutorial--thanks to both of you! :^)
    Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow thank you for the tutorial they look stunning x

    ReplyDelete
  4. great tutorial Monique...love those roses and your inky fongers too

    ReplyDelete
  5. great tutorial
    thanks for sharing!
    hugs
    Debbi x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome tut on flowers, thanks so much!
    Peace,
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome tut on flowers,thanks so much!
    Peace,
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tut! Now I realize I've been rolling my dies the wrong way. No wonder they look like crap. As for the crepe paper ones. Not only do I remember them, but I actually made some for my first official Altered Alice DT project way back in August 2011. You can see 'em HERE xxD

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated to keep the spammers (especially CHINA) off my blog....Thanks-word verification is off but I am on it...