Monday, March 25, 2013

DANTE for HDH

Haunted Design House has been having some fun challenges-well. fun for me since they appeal to my interests so this week its about Dante's Inferno---the wonderful allegorical epic poem encompassing Inferno as well as Purgatorio and Paradiso not the video game.

I decided to do something that was reminiscent of a book but only let you peek ay what was to come-I did a devil to greet you and used artwork from Dore' for the background inside the shadow box behind the devil.



The digis were coloured with promarkers and printed on Neenah White.

The box with its plastic window was a pain since its coated card stock and wants to NOT hold paint-I sponged on a metallic Patina using a fine sea sponge fro texture and Americana Metallics by DECO ART-a paint company I have a long history with from my decorative painting days.

Their liquid acrylics are top notch especially their metallic-they have a true metal look not pearl and come in a wide range of colour choices-I got mine at HOBBY LOBBY where they are less than 2.00 for a 2.5 oz bottle-great price-metallic a few cents more.

They clean up with water and when fully dry re waterproof like any acrylic but I do suggest a spray finisher sealer and DECO ART makes several.

I mounted the fussy cut devil and the background using foam tape-I made a hinge for the devil digi so he would stand quite a distance from the background and peek out the window.



I added some self adhesive rivets on the box top which I also painted in with the sponged patina and when dry I added lots of sparkly rhinestones in colours of fire and the patina-sadly very hard to photograph so you only get a vague hint o how spectacular the stones are.






OH I forgot to say the colours I used were NEW PENNY (Copper), DARK ESPRESSO (aged bronze) and DARK PATINA (dark green metallic).

Thanks to all the minions at HDH for this challenge-this particular image will NOT be available for sale since I accidentally coloured the original before scanning it but I will have some other interesting DANTE inspired images coming up soon.

Be sure to visit http://haunteddesignhouse.blogspot.com/ for their challenges every other Monday (with extra inspiration pieces on the Monday in between)>

I woul like to enter this project in the Haunted Design House Dante Challenge.

9 comments:

  1. Love the shadow box and the devil is awesome

    Good luck in the challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU ROCKED this one, Rick!! Your Devil is wonderful!!!
    I have been struggling with my entry because I needed a three headed Satan!! Now I am really inspired by your creation. Gotta get busy! Thank you so much for joining us in the dungeon at HDH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great box card. Thanks for joining in over at haunted design house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WooHoo RICK! Fabulous devil but I must say I'm more than a bit miffed that I can't get my hands on him. Thanks a whole bunch for teasing and taunting us with this fab image at HDH. You'll burn for that! LOL xxD

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG That is Awesome, Love your Devil
    Hugs
    Suzi
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Disturbingly scary, Rick! I love it! :^)
    Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh what a shame he isn't up for grabs. But that makes this fabulous shadow box a true one off piece of art. Love the finish on the frame and the way Lucifer is popping out to say hi. Thank you for sharing with us at HDH again xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely brilliant work on this. Thanks for sharing your creations with us again at Haunted Design House always a pleasure xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. A box that I envy! Too funny about coloring him in. Appreciate all the time and talent that went into this project.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated to keep the spammers (especially CHINA) off my blog....Thanks-word verification is off but I am on it...