Wednesday, May 1, 2013

THE MIST for HDH HDH166 - Stephen King Knightmare

Stephen King-one of my all time favorite authors is the theme of this weeks MACBRE MONDAY challenge at Haunted Design House.

I love IT, The Stand, Needful Things and many of his other works, both novels and short stories.

My absolute Favorite is THE MIST (a novella also published as a movie treatment novel, an audo book/play and a motion picture.

I was so exited when it was going to be a film but reminded myself that SK vehicles do not translate well to motion pictures (or TV for that matter).


Something so scary about death in nightmarish forms coming-not from the dark and not from the light but from a dull white mist that smells a little like petroleum and is probably rushing in from another dimension thanks to the U S Army and their experiments.

Man eating tentacles, Giant spider creatures, HUGE things that wander around covered with giant bugs all only shadows, outlines, things not clearly seen till they reach out and grab you and pull you screaming into the mist.

This is my drawing based on Stephen King's "THE MIST"-the challenge aks for a work inspired by STPHEN KING:



And this is the project I made using the drawing-I wanted to keep it free of colour except for spattered blood red like his world of the mist- as the mist comes in the colour fades.



Hope you enjoy my image you can find it HERE in my ETSY shoppe.

I would like to enter it in Haunted Design House Monday Madness Challenge SYEPHEN KING.

18 comments:

  1. Wow this is such an awesome image. Love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you still have to use your imagination on what the body looks like. King has a way to really draw you into the story, which gets lost in the movies, and this piece fits The Mist perfectly. Nightmarishly wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Love your imagination, Rick! I so prefer the books as any film genre messes with what one conjurs up in one's head, but this is fabulous! Thanks for joining us in the dungeon this week at HDH. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creepy fab! :^)
    Hugs, Penny
    I loved that story, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What Matney May 2 says! This is amazing. I loved the story line and the movie, but this image really puts it into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't read much in the way of horror - a few Stephen King - but Stand By Me was one of my all time favorite movies. It was not horror by involved a dead character.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely brilliant. LOVE that image and it looks even better with that background. Thanks for sharing with us at Haunted Design House xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rick,
    First off your digi is so fabulous!! I gotta have it!!
    Secondly I am a BIG time fan of SK I started reading his novels at age 8! I have not read the Mist, I did see the movie tho, and it has stuck w/ me ever since. One because of how the people in the store acted. And two what the man does to his only son at the very end!! That to me is more horrifying then the monsters! I really love how you did your back ground here! It makes your image pop! Great job!
    Peace,
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristy-I urge you to read the ORIGINAL novella its in SKELETON CREW and It may have been published alone when the movie came out-it is SOOOOO much better than the film and the ending is quite different but the dynamics of the people are even more intense and the writing is SOOOOO vivid you can see it in your head-by far my FAV SK

      Delete
  9. Wonderful image! And I love the project you created with him.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. fabulous , looks cool this way, just some colour in the background

    ReplyDelete
  11. Creepy, creepy image! Thanks for sharing with us at Haunted Design House :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Utterly creepsville new image and I adore that background you made :-)
    Lovely to see you over at HAUNTED DESIGN HOUSE. :-)
    IKE xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ike for your kind comment-mens so much coming from a talented artist like yourself...

      Delete
  13. I really like the monochromatic look with just the hint of red, and leaving the image ghostly works really well.thanks for joining us at hdh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark for your kind comments-I don't do monochromatic so this was an adventure in restraint
      :-)

      Delete
  14. so great--and love your etsy shop! do you draw and then scan or use a wacom tablet? Off to look more at the shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each image is hand drawn with a .005 pigma micron on 80lb vellum Bristol and then scanned at 300 dpi-Thanks for asking and thanks for your nice comments

      Delete

Comments are moderated to keep the spammers (especially CHINA) off my blog....Thanks-word verification is off but I am on it...